Left Photo

Left Photo

Middle Photo

Middle Photo

Right Photo

Right Photo

Monday, September 10, 2012

BellyFlop

It's not something you typically do on purpose.
Unless maybe, you're a masochist and you enjoy pain.

But, I did do a few belly flops in my day,
while learning how to dive on Lake Champlain.

It always stung a little bit,
but I always got right back on the dock
and tried to dive in all over again regardless.
Saturday, I did another belly flop.  It didn't sting quite as bad as I had anticipated.
I'm definitely going to pull myself back up and try again, and again, and again.

Unfortunately, the advertising for the craft fair I attended Saturday was not fantastic and practically no one showed up to browse and purchase goods.  I sold absolutely nothing.
I had been so nervous about this happening and so stressed about running out of inventory,
but honestly, it didn't hurt my heart the way I thought it might if this happened.

I have to look at the positives.
I learned the dynamics of setting up for an event like this and I got to meet some other great vendors that were eager to share tips, tents, and insight from their own experiences.
I also got to spend some time with two coworkers who are great crafters as well and it was nice getting to know them better and hanging out.
 On the table, I displayed a picture of my Mimi and me.  After all, I named the "business" after her.
I also framed a brief history explaining how and why Lulu's Mimi came to be.
 I realized that I probably need more space to properly display my goods.
I think I will probably get some shower rings to hang my scarves from the tent for future shows.
Did I mention I have an amazing husband?
Not only does he support me and get excited with me about this adventure,
but he also woke up early on a Saturday morning to come to Franklinville 
and help me set up my booth.  I just adore him.

So, it wasn't necessarily a successful first craft fair,
but I will say it was a learning experience and I will definitely try again.

Thanks to all of you who supported me and got excited with me.  It means so much.
stillbeingmolly

6 comments:

  1. aww girl i love you! i'm sorry it was kind of a bummer but hey i'm so glad you're gonna try again!! have you checked out Fall Fest in Chapel Hill? You should show there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, it happens to all of us! No worries, it will get better! In Business and marketing only 10% is a yes, and the other 90% are NOs! So just consider this 10% closer to a yes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto what Molly said – you should definitely check out Fall Fest in Chapel Hill! It's always a huge event with tons of patrons. Sorry to hear it didn't draw much of a crowd – I bet the threat of rain kept people away for sure, and now you def know what sorts of things to change for next time!

    Sea and Swank

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cool! I love attending shows like these and you can bet that if I had been in the area and known about it, I would have been there! I guess this just goes down as a learning experience :)
    Best,
    Sapir
    coffeebooksandairplanes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You girls all rocked my world today. Thanks for making my heart smile. Love to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You girls all rocked my world today. Thanks for making my heart smile. Love to you all.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave me some love. It makes my heart smile.