Running Tips for Beginners:
- Create a calendar/schedule. Schedule your run so that it is not an option. I keep a calendar on my refrigerator and each day I write down the number of miles I go. It's right in front of me when I make a decision about what I'm going to eat each day and it's in the open for me to see as motivation and encouragement.
- Get the proper gear. Most importantly, have comfortable running shoes fitted for you. If you have flat feet, get shoes that provide arch support. If you land unevenly, get a shoe that provides stability. If you land hard, get a shoe that provides comfort. Don't be ashamed to put those shoes on and jog a few laps around the store. Places like Dick's Sporting Goods even have kiosks where you can step and see what category you fall into.
- Another important thing, have clothing made out of proper material. If you are running in the heat, do not wear a cotton t-shirt. It's going to slow you down and keep you covered in sweat. At the very least get a fitting sports bra.
- Find an accountability partner/source. I use Nike+. I love it. Since upgrading, it has a social network aspect to it that allows you to compete with friends, encourage one another, and challenge each other.
- Feed your body what it needs. If you drink 5 sodas a day you are a. not going to want to run, b. not going to feel good during your run, and c. not going to get much out of your run. If you hate water, put fruit in it. I love adding some lemon juice to mine.
- Make small goals. Start off by trying to run a whole mile without walking. Decrease your mile time. Add another mile to the distance. Sign up for a 5k. Each accomplishment will motivate you to continue.
- Above all else, know that runners do not have to be the fastest, the strongest, or able to run the longest. You are a runner simply because you run.
Want to be a runner? Convinced you're not? Read this post I wrote about becoming a runner.
p.s. don't forget to link up for Fitness Friday tomorrow! share your fitspo, goals, or healthy recipes.
Linking up for Biggest Loser Blog Edition and Creating Community