The other day I pulled out my lunch and someone asked me, "I see you use those containers all the time. What's so special about them?" To which I shared all the special details about those 7 color coded containers that have literally changed my life and entire relationship with food.
Have you heard of the 21 Day Fix? I feel like it's everywhere these days. But, I suppose there are still people out there that don't know what they do or what they can do...if you let them.
I was probably more skeptical about this program than most people when I got started. I just knew it was going to be another challenge like Whole 30 or Weight Watchers. Both of which I did and had amazing results from. Both of which I also 100% abandoned after 30 days or so passed.
But, if I'm being honest, this is different. It's easy and it's visual.
I think the visual part is the greatest difference in my personal success with this program. It's not a list of "rules" to follow for a certain amount of time. It's not a daily tedious counting task. It's a visual of what a serving size looks like when you put it on your plate. How many strawberries I should really eat when I want a snack. Eye opening and easily applicable.
There's no starving all day so I can eat all my points that night to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. There is no cutting of carbs out of my diet. (Thank God!)
Here is what I learned from the 21 Day fix:
- I need more protein. And I need it from better sources (quinoa has protein, but is not necessarily a good source of protein considering the small amount in 1 cup)
- 2 servings of fruit is waaaaay less than I typically consume in a day
- Planning ahead is the key to success
- Pinterest is my BFF for new recipes
- I consume way more carbs than a normal person ever should and all my favorite foods are carbs, but there are lots of trades I can do that leave me just as satisfied
- Real food is the best fuel
- What I put in my body greatly affects the way I feel physically, mentally, and emotionally
I no longer have to use the color coded containers; I'm happy with my weight and I've met my goals. Most importantly, I've learned what I should be putting in my body and how much of it needs to go there. I don't need to use the containers to do that anymore; in just 21 days I learned the habits necessary to make this a lifestyle change.
And it works. (see my results here)