My diaper bag weighed as much as he did if not more!
Now that he is a little older I've found some ways to make the load slightly lighter.
As he's grown, I don't necessarily need all the little things. I can more or less get by with a few bare essentials and if I realize I'm lacking something while I'm out, I can pop into Target or CVS and pick it up. I've also learned that backpacks are a momma's best friend. I love this cute black one from SheIn because it's inexpensive (because toddlers mean spills) and fashionably functional. Chasing a little one with a diaper bag hanging from your shoulder isn't easy!
1. Snack Cup: Don't leave home without it! I also keep a bag of Goldfish or Bunny Grahams in the console of my Jeep because it never fails that we run our and have a meltdown on our way home.
2. Extra clothing: I made the mistake of thinking that I didn't need to have extra pants (just shirts) one day when we went to the mall and I ended up in Baby Gap making an impromptu pant purchase for my little guy. Definitely have extra clothes on hand.
3. Toys: Whatever your child likes best than is small and portable. Bring it!
4. Wipes & Diapers: I've also left the house without diapers before only to pop in somewhere to buy a pack after being gone longer than normal.
5. Sippy Cup: I didn't picture this because typically my son is carrying it and it's not in my bag, but as my son has gotten older I've found the value in having a sippy cup. It's nice not to have to have bottles and breast milk and such with me because I can get milk or water practically anywhere to fill it up.
Do you have any other essentials you carry with you wherever you go?